Wednesday 2 February 2011

Java implementation of CPLEX

I have written some code in Java which uses CPLEX to solve the same problem that I specified in my last post. The reason for using Java and CPLEX to specify the problem is that an actual simulation can be conducted that uses multiple CPLEX models to demonstrate the centralised approach to generator coordination. The simulation scenario is as follows:

1. Network is balanced, all thermal limits are satisfied. Carbon emissions are minimised. One generator/Node is nominated to follow loads within the network.

2. Load at a substation increases/line failure

3. This causes nominated generator to balance the demand

4. However in doing so this overloads a line.

5. Run the CPLEX code to optimise the thermal constraints within the network and also reduce the distance between the new power output of a generator and its previous power output when the network was overloaded.

6. network solution is achieved, network is restored back to fully working order.

This benchmark will be used to test the centralised, and eventually, decentralised approach.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya,
    I didn't know you were blogging! I accidently found you when searching for stuff on 9 month reports! :P

    Your content looks good. I don't know much about your topic, but it is nice to be reminded that there are other students at the same stage as me.

    I'll be watching and commenting from now on!

    Teresa
    (PS: I'm trying to blog at http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/postgraduatum/ )

    ReplyDelete