Friday 5 November 2010

4 day training reflection

The four day intensive course has given me a number of useful skills that I will be using for the next three years, and probably beyond. The things that were really useful to me was the chance to give three presentations and get feedback. Other helpful areas were how to get the most out of your supervisors and how to make my routine of how I read and analyse papers even more useful.

Doing this course has allowed me to network with a number of other PhD students across a range of disciplines. I even have an idea about a possible collaboration with a civil engineer called Andrew Hamilton who is looking at traffic control using emerging technologies. One of his emerging technologies involved cars talking to each other. Immediately I talked to him about agents and how they could play a role in this for coordinating traffic. We swapped emails and will be talking soon about how to solve this problem when we have both researched our respective areas more thoroughly.

However being on this course has meant that this week I have achieved nothing for my PhD. TODO (next week): Implement the MAX-SUM algorithm and clustering variables on a factor graph.

No comments:

Post a Comment